The DINGER Project
I started of just kind of doodling the Dinger, I just wanted to be able to draw him without looking at a picture, nothing fancy just trying to get a feel for it. I wanted to create a mascot that was tough/mean but keeping the essence of the original.
I decided to focus on the head first, I decided that adding teeth would add to him and went through several styles of mouth trying to find a good fit. The eyes were a challenge as well and key I think in pulling off the whole look.
With this one I pretty much got the foundation done and felt I was going in the right direction, I was still focusing on the head then did a rough of the body, I knew I was going to go for a “I want you” Uncle Sam kind of thing. The other challenge was in getting the size of the head to the rest of the character right, as you can see here I was too big and bulky on the body but in the end it came together.
I decided I was going to do the project in Photoshop with my WACOM tablet. After I got the sketch done it was time to take the rough into the computer and start the outline first, then on to coloring.
Here was the final out line of Dinger, getting the shoes right was also a challenge and went through several changes before the final, I was going for somewhere between shoes/spikes/dino feet. At this point I had about 20 different layers in Photoshop, I put each body part on a layer so I could make changes without messing the rest up. I also thought that one of the horns would look better broken just a bit, not too much that it would stand out.
Here is the final coloring added, again I did this on several layers so I could blend the colors in, I didn’t want him to be just a flat looking image so I blended lights and darks of each color, it really came together when I added the color to the eyes adding the yellow pupils really made it pop.
Dinger without the Diamond.
So here is the final!
I wanted to take things up a bit and added his name under him in a good strong font and added the diamond behind him, my first thought was to make the diamond with more baseball field features but it took away from it too much so I left it with just the graduated purple.
This was a real fun and challenging project, I hope you all like my version and give me a vote!